Every career has its ups and downs. It’s not always that people get compensated and recognised for a job well done. There will be times when our careers are stagnant and boring. If you are in a stagnant career right now, know that there are a lot of things that you can do to turn a sluggish career into something exciting and rewarding.
1. Creating a successful career starts with a positive mantra. Believe that all challenges, including those pertaining to your career, will pass. Someday you will look back and remember the wisdom you’ve gained from this career downtime in your life.
2. Visualise yourself being successful. Do this by understanding yourself better – what you really want, your priorities and competencies. Ask yourself what it is that you really want to achieve in your career and write these things down. This will allow you to have a clear and realistic goal of how you would turn your sluggish career into a successful one.
3. It is also important to understand why your career is on the rocks at the moment. Are you doing your part in making your career work for you? Do you still excel in your role? Are you being responsible in the tasks you do? Are you still productive? Are you still valuable to the company? These questions will help you realise the reason for your stagnant career.
4. Create a career plan. Once you’ve done a self analysis, you can now devise a career plan. Having a plan is essential to your success. A career plan will make it easier for you to achieve a successful career. Be specific in creating your plan but make sure each part of your plan is realistic and achievable.
5. Work on it! Once your plan is created it is time to work your way to a successful career. Perhaps you want a promotion or a salary increase. The best way to do this is to work hard and stick to your plan. Make your boss notice you by excelling in everything that you do. Don’t just work on what is expected from you but go the extra mile by volunteering to do new tasks and show yourself to be a leader and an innovator.
6. Believe that you can turn a sluggish career into the career that you really want. Remember that what you think of yourself is probably what you show to your work colleagues and employers. If you value yourself and are confident with your capabilities, your peers and employers will see you as someone dependable, valuable and worthy of a better position in your company or a salary increase. So be positive. Believe in yourself and work on achieving your dreams!
Life Directions Institute’s expertise is in career development and aims to help people achieve a successful career through outstanding coaching sessions and career development trainings and tools.